Shaw Carpet Care Recommendations
- Protect your carpet color In addition to frequent vacuuming, it’s important to clean your carpet on a regular basis. Cleaning systems will remove the oily, sticky soil that vacuums can’t take out, and will help keep your carpet looking great over time.
- Cleaning systems target the soils that result from cooking vapors, air pollution, and tracked-in dirt. The particles of oily soil deposited on carpet fibers can cause gradual but significant dulling of colors. The color isn’t lost, but is hidden under the film. If this type of soil is allowed to accumulate, it begins to attract and hold the dry soil.
- Get on a cleaning schedule – If carpet is cleaned before it becomes too unsightly, the cleaning chore will be easier and more successful. Carpet in a typical household should be cleaned every 12 to 18 months, depending on the number of residents and amount of activity.
- Choosing the proper cleaning system is important. Some systems may leave residues which accelerate re-soiling and defeats the whole purpose of cleaning.
- Shaws choice: Hot water extraction Research indicates that the hot water extraction system provides the best capability for cleaning. This system is commonly referred to as “steam cleaning,” although no steam is actually generated. The process consists of applying a cleaning agent into the carpet pile and using water in the extractor to recover the used solution and soil. This can be done from a truck-mounted unit outside the home with only the hose and wand brought inside or by a portable system brought into the home.
- Shaw warranties require that the homeowner be able to show proof of periodic cleaning by hot water extraction (commonly called “steam” cleaning) by a professional cleaning service or do-it-yourself system, using equipment that is certified under the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Seal of Approval program. Visit www.carpet-rug.org for a list of approved products/equipment.
- Professional advantages Professional carpet cleaners are a great choice for your floor. Their cleaning equipment has more extraction power than the rental units available to individuals, and the carpet should dry more quickly. True professionals also understand the equipment, know the proper cleaning agents for the situation at hand, and recognize the differences in fibers and carpet construction.
- Locate a professional carpet cleaner Effective January 1, 2008, professional service must be performed by an IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) certified firm.** You may contact the IICRC at 1-800-835-4624 for information. This organization maintains a national directory of independent professional cleaners who are trained and certified in a variety of cleaning specialties. Call and explain that you have purchased a Shaw carpet, and be sure to ask for a cleaner near you who uses the hot water extraction system. If you prefer tackling the job yourself, check these do-it-yourself guidelines before you begin.
Regular Care for Lasting Beauty
A regular maintenance program extends the life and the initial appearance of your carpet. Today’s carpet fibers are designed to hide and soil and reflect light, and have the ability to resist soiling and stains. However, the lack of apparent soiling does not eliminate the necessity of regular cleaning.
You’ll need to vacuum your heavy traffic areas, such as hallways, stairs and exterior entryways, at least twice a week. Vacuum less heavily used areas weekly. For best results, use a vacuum cleaner with a beater bar or rotating brush, and with a strong enough airflow to penetrate the carpet backing. Most dry soil has razor-like edges that abrade carpet fibers, causing light to reflect differently and give carpet a dull appearance. Soil can damage the fibers permanently if allowed to remain in the pile.
No matter how often you vacuum, your carpet will still need heavy-duty cleaning from time to time. Professional cleaning is required to maintain your Carpet One warranty. We would be glad to advise you about which cleaning method is best for your particular carpet. Hot water extraction, either alone or in combination with cleaning, is required to maintain your warranty, EXCEPT for the NATURA styles that must be cleaned through dry cleaning techniques.
A trained professional should perform this service every 1 ½ to 2 years to refresh the texture and rejuvenate the fibers in your carpet. Have the cleaning professionals come to your home for a visual inspection, and obtain a written agreement before the work is started. You must retain your receipts for proof of maintenance service should a warranty claim arise.
When you and your cleaning professional choose a cleaning method, fiber content is the most important concern. Most carpet today is constructed with synthetic fibers such as nylon, polyester or olefin, and may be cleaned with most cleaning methods. Natural fibers such as wool, cotton, silk and sisal may require specialized care. Use a cleaning method recommended by the carpet manufacturer to maintain their warranty, and if you should have any questions or concerns about your new carpet, just call your Carpet One retailer.